Sunday, November 25, 2007

Grief - Dismal


1. Rhionceros
2. Isolation
3. Coma
4. Shoot Me...
5. Fucked Upstairs
6. Depression
7. Virus
8. Fleshpress
9. The Drone


"I wanted to see it myself, I saw seventeen thousand kids there, not a smile in the whole group, very sombre. And its not music, I mean I know a guy like me you’d say couldn’t understand well I’m telling you its not music, Its frantic, frantic noise". That is what we hear on a sound sample starting off the fourth song. Probably a description a parent or local religious individual gave. It illustrates well how depressing, down, heavy, unrelenting, unforgiving and harsh Grief sounds.

In the tradition of bands like Winter and Dusk we get some of the most uncompromising and slow doom there is. In fact those bands almost sound like go-lucky happy music compared to Grief, mainly due to the sludge elements. These US Doomsters create some of the harshest sludge doom around. Both musically and lyrically the music is plain rude.

While sometimes addressing environmental issues ('Rhinoceros') or the horrors of World War II ('Fleshpress') most lyrics are very basic and brutal about a desire for death, depression, and hatred for oneself and the rest of mankind. Lyrics like "In my sleep, unsuspecting. Put a gun to my head. I hate my Pathetic Life" from the track ‘Shoot me... (I'm already dead)’ leave little to the imagination. Only on one of the last tracks, ‘Fleshpress’, does Grief show they are actually familiar with the concept of melody.

This not for those who like romantic doom-metal, nor for people who enjoy more groovy doom, this album is one big chunk of misery and will mainly appeal to the fans of "slowed down death-metal" like Winter and Dusk or sludge doom like Eyehategod and Crowbar. Brilliant stuff!

Download? - Click Here (Grief - Dismal.zip)

No comments: